The Lake Monroe Sailing Association invites all sailors members and non-
members to participate in a Wednesday Night Rum Race!
Dates: Every Wednesday from March 14th—October 31th for the 2018 calendar year.
2018 – Sailing Instructions
The Lake Monroe Sailing Association invites all sailors, both members and non-members, to participate in a Wednesday Night Rum Race sponsored by Gosling Rum!
Dates: Every Wednesday from March 14th—October 31st for the 2018 calendar year.
Time: If you are looking to crew, be down at the ramp by 5:30PM. If you are sailing, the starting window will be between 6:25PM and 6:30PM (unless modified in the spring/fall per board decision changing racing rule 5/5.1).
1. The “Gosling Rum” race course will change from week to week based on weather or other conditions. Please check for a posting on the east door of the LMSA club house for the course for that night. The course will be posted by 5:30 PM, the day of the race. You must sign in before racing and sign out.
- Cross the starting line between 6:25PM, and 6:30PM
- Keep your own elapsed time.
- Sign-out upon your return to the dock. Two ways: 1. Sign out with your time on the sign in/sign out sheet; or 2. Text the club phone number your time. It is your responsibility to sign out or you will not be scored.
After successfully signing out, go to the designated establishment for the refreshments of your choice, scoring, and awards.
- Remember our Sponsor and have a Dark and Stormy. http://www.goslingsrum.com/microsites/darknstormy.php
- Report your time to the official scorer. He will most likely be behind a laptop computer. You may text your elapsed time (and boat name) to the club number (cell phone number posted with sign-in) or write your time on the sign out sheet posted.
- Giveaways will be awarded that day via a drawing. Skipper or appointed crew member must be present to accept the giveaways. If nobody from the boat is available, a new winner will be drawn.
The Wednesday Night Rum Race will be governed by the rules as defined in US Sailing -The Racing Rules of Sailing 2017-2020.
Having signed-in, completed the course in the designated time window, and signed-out, competitors may enter by submitting their name, boat type, sail number and elapsed time to be scored.
- Notices to Competitors
Notices to competitors will be posted on the official notice board located at the east door of the LMSA club house by 1730 Eastern Standard Time the day of the race.
- Signals Made Ashore
Signals made ashore will be displayed from the flagpole located at the LMSA club house.
Each Wednesday, the course and any instructions will be posted on the Clubhouse East door no later than 1725.
- Start Time
The start time for a competitor of the Rum Race will be between 1825–1830 Eastern Daylight Time.
5.1Competitors that start early or are over late will be scored DSQ.
- Courses and Marks
Refer to Notices to competitors for time and location of course posting. See attached link for complete listing of possible courses. Rum Race – Course Diagrams, GPS location of commonly used marks
- Time Limit
There is no time limit to the Wednesday Night Rum Race, however giveaways will be awarded at the scorers time discretion.
All competitors are required to turn in an elapsed time to the scorer. Corrected times will be calculated using the current Portsmouth Yardstick handicap available to members of US Sailing at the US Sailing website. Fastest corrected time is the winner of the race. At least two boats must sail the course for the race to be scored and giveaways to be awarded.
After scoring is completed, a non-competitor will pick a chip which will have the finishing order on one side. The competitors finishing order number picked will be awarded a bottle of rum or any other prize offered by LMSA’s sponsors. Skipper or appointed crew member must be present to win.
- Disclaimer of Liability
Competitors participate in the Wednesday Night Rum Race entirely at their own risk. See Rule 4, Decision to Race. The organizing authority will not accept any liability for material damage or personal injury or death sustained in conjunction with or prior to, during, or after the Wednesday Night Rum Race.
- Media Rights
Competitors, coaches and support personnel give absolute right and permission to LMSA for the use and publication of any photography, video footage or audio recordings taken during the event.